HET trip - Results

12 November 2014 het hpf research videography

We've finally come back from the trip from the Hobby-Eberly Telescope in Texas, and we are starting to see some results finally!

It was a productive trip, in a few ways:

1) HPF Thermal Enclosure Installed

We installed the HPF Thermal enclosure (see pictures before and after). Moreover, we drilled holes on the ceiling for the electrical conduits so it will be easy to get to later on when we install the clean-room where HPF will eventually sit in.

There are many things left to do on-site on the mountain before we commission HPF, but the next immediate thing will be to fill in the big gap seen in the latter picture below with a 6-foot sliding door that should be arriving to the mountain any time now!

You can see a short time-lapse video of the setup of the enclosure right here:

2) Preliminary temperature monitoring system installed

We installed a temperature monitoring system with 6 temperature sensors located in pairs in 3 different locations:

A) 2 High/Low in the HPF Calibration Enclosure;

B) 2 High/Low outside the HPF enclosure; and

C) Low/High inside the HPF enclosure

With just a few days of temperature data (see interactive plot below) we are starting to see some really important results:

1) The Calibration-box which is completely closed shows that it very effectively buffers out high-frequency temperature changes (see red curves below).

2) The Cal-box however drifts with the longer-term temperature changes, as expected, but these same long-term temperature variations seem a bit higher than expected. This issue will need to be addressed to provide HPF with the long-term temperature stability that it requires.

3) The high frequency changes between November 20th to November 21st are (most likely) due to movements of VIRUS spectrograph units into the basement which meant a lot of going in and out of the basement with open garage doors to the cold Texas mountain weather!

Ergonomically handwritten code, with a little help from my friends; vim, jekyll and twitter bootstrap